St. Andrew's, or St. Athanasius as it was originally called, was established in 1844 as an Archdeaconry Mission.Without a church building during the 1800's, the Mission community had to avail themselves of various locations for worship services. These included private homes, the Grand Army rooms of the American Legion, S. Deyo & Son's Department Store, and under the Village Hall. The Village Hall became the Opera House, and more recently, Barnaby's Loaf & Tankard.
Between 1906 and 1912, with the influx of Episcopal families of engineers working on the New York City Aqueduct, land was acquired and the present church structure was built on the corner of Main and Oakwood Terrace. The church's cornerstone was laid on November 30th 1909, and the name changed to St. Andrew's.
1844 Archdeaconry Mission established in New Paltz and called St. Athanasius.
1873 Enough of a community to petition the diocese to be recognized as an official congregation.
1902 Services were being held in a room in the old Village Hall building now known as Barnaby's Loaf& Tankard.
1906 Under the ministry of the Rev'd Eli Sutcliffe, the congregation numbered 72 communicants and the prospect of a church edifice materialized.
1909 The church's cornerstone was laid on November 30th and the name changed to St. Andrew's.
1918 The church debt was finally paid and the mortgage burned.
1922 Bishop Herbert Shipman consecrated the church on May 4th.
1923 The Rev'd Frank Wilson started the Mission Sunday School.
1928 The Vicarage was built during the incumbancy of Rev'd W.F. Brown.
1937 Ben Matteson, a parish member, became director at the New Paltz Normal School.
1943 St. Andrew's congregation numbered 114 persons; five young men from St. Andrew's were in the Armed Forces; George Oates, Lewis Ackert, Silas and Ben Matteson, and William Smith
1946 A new furnace, costing $625, was installed in the church.
1948 Canterbury Club, a club for college students, was organized.
1949 An addition was added to the church, allowing space for a sacristy and a small chapel or office.
1956 The Diocese of New York financed a complete redecoration of the Vicarage.
1960 Tom Pike, a college student, entered Yale Divinity School, becoming the 1st such person to be sponsored by St. Andrew's.
1963 Appointment of the Rev'd Frederick Wandall as Vicar at an annual stipend of $4,500.
1966 Diocese of New York purchase the John Kopper House to be turned into a parish hall.
1968 Advisory Board approved the erection of new vicarage on the Cherry Hill site, plans made to rent the vicarage for $135- 150 month.
1969 St. Andrew's provided a place for the Foundation for Religious and Mental Health under the directorship of The Rev'd Ralph F. Fogg.
1970 Father David Arnold became St. Andrew's Priest Administrator during an interim period.
1971 Congregation endorsed the shared ministry of The Rev'd Ralph F. Fogg and The Rev'd Daniel Welty.
1975 The revised Book of Common Prayer was introduced into the church.
1979 Larry Borzumato became St. Andrew's coordinator between the clergy and congregation.
1981 Conversion of the Vicar’s office into the Chapel.
1983 Mother Maria Aris-Paul was ordained to the Sacred Order of Priest at St. Andrew's on June 25th.
1986 Father Fogg became St. Andrew's Priest-in-Charge
1989 The renovation of the Undercroft was completed by July 20th; a capital funds drive raised $38,602 from 36 pledges.
1994 St. Andrew's celebratesd its 150th Anniversary on the weekend of October 7, 8, and 9th.
LIST OF CLERGY
The Rev'd G. NICHOLAS 1901